There is a sangria drink for every mood and occasion. Sangria is a fresh fruit wine cocktail that originated from Spain. It only requires your favourite budget-friendly wine and a squeeze of fresh citrus to deliver a fun party punch for you to enjoy whenever you like.
The beauty of sangria is in the fact that it is as delicious as it is easy. To personalise it, you are free to spice it up with your favourite fruits, liquors and spices. There is no wrong ingredient.
The secret to making a good sangria is letting the flavours mellow together overnight, instead of serving it immediately, although that’s also fine.
- 750 ml bottle of red wine
- 1 lemon, deseeded and cut into wedges
- 1 orange, deseeded and cut into wedges
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1 shot brandy
- 2 cups club soda
- Ice cubes
- Pour wine into a pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon and orange into the wine.
- Toss in the fruit wedges.
- Add sugar and brandy.
- Chill overnight to marry the flavours.
- Add club soda just before serving.
- Serve over lots of ice.
There are many ways that you can build on this basic sangria recipe. Here are some of the:
- Use gin or rum instead of brandy or skip the liquor completely to reduce the alcohol content slightly.
- Add your favourite fruits like berries as they can make a nice combination for the red wine. You can also freeze fruits to use instead of ice to avoid diluting the drink.
- To boost up the citrus flavours, add another sliced orange and lemon or fresh limes to the mix.
- Use a lemon-lime soda to kick up the flavour.
- Choose whichever red wine you like, but don’t break your bank on it. Either way, it’s going to be covered up with all that fruitiness.