This recipe will show you step-by-step how to make life-changing hot chocolate from scratch. Take note though, this makes very rich and thick hot chocolate, so feel free to increase the amount of milk used if you cannot handle such greatness.
**Recipe makes 4 servings.
What you’ll need
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled (for the whipped cream)
- 2 cups whole milk (or 3 if you want it slightly thinner)
- 1/2 milk powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup 60% dark chocolate, chopped or in disks
How to make hot chocolate
- Pour the heavy cream into a medium mixing bowl and put it in the freezer for 5 minutes (If you don’t have room for the bowl, just put the heavy cream in the freezer.)
- Take the mixing bowl of whipped cream out of the freezer and whisk with a large whisk until soft peaks form.
- Bring milk to a boil in a medium pan or pot over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium then add the chocolate, whisking vigorously until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the milk powder and cornstarch, still whisking, until everything is dissolved and the mixture is smooth and thick.
- To serve, divide the hot chocolate among four mugs or glasses, then garnish each with a large dollop of whipped cream.
Enjoy your chocolatey greatness!