What is Power?
The capacity, ability to direct and influence the behavior of others or the course of events. Power in the international system is basically the ability to decide and influence the state of affairs of other states in the international system and making sure your national interest is protected. For example, The United State of America is the most powerful nation in the world, this is because of first their MILITARY and secondly their ECONOMIC prowess.
The United States of America has successfully being able to decide and influence what happens in other states in the international system since the 1900s. This evidently makes them very powerful, no one will even bother to question their strength.
How do you say a third world state like Nigeria is a powerful state? For clarification, we will state the characteristics that make a state powerful. These are Geography, Natural Resources, Population, Government System, National Character, Ideology and Quality of Leadership. These factors are the most important in determining the strength of any state in the international system
1. Geography: Nigeria is a country that though is in West Africa, it can boast of being one of the central states on the continent. Its also amazing that even with such centrality, it is not landlocked. This creates room for huge international trade without having to rely on other states for import and export.
2. Natural Resources: In terms of natural resources, Nigeria is a powerful state, why do I say this? In the past 30 years or thereabout crude oil has been the most sought after natural resource, until just recently, urainum is moving to completely take over this as a result of the world turning towards alternative energy and nuclear power. Crude oil is a natural resource thats not available to most states in the international system. Nigeria has become a very rich nation as a result of it, it exports all of its crude oil, and because states cannot do without crude oil it gives Nigeria a bargaining chip in negotiations on world politics. Nigeria’s vast supply of natural resources includes gold, lead, zinc, limestone, oil, gas, salt, cassiterite, clay, dolomite, marble, tantalite, bentonite, gypsum, kaolin, magnesite, silica, iron ore, lignite, phosphate, columbite, wolfram, coal and manganese.Additional resources are ditomite, hydrocarbons, bitumen, feldspar, syenite, marcasite, amethyst, aquamarine, asbestos, graphite, mica, rock crystal, ruby, sapphire, serpentinite, tantalum, topaz, tourmaline, copper, pyrochlore, baryte and bismuth. As a result of thesebNigeria can boast of being a powerful state in terms of natural resources.
3. Population: Let me quickly start by saying China was not made part of the permanent members of the United Nations security council because of their economy, they were added as a result of their huge population. Nigeria boasts of the highest concentration of black people in the world, with a population of over 180 million people. Nigeria is the most populous nation in Africa and the 7th most populous nation in the world.
4. Government System: Nigeria operates a democratic system of government. Though there have been arguements that I also support that its just a propaganda that democracy is the best system of government, but in the contemporary international system, democracy is widely accepted and shows coordination and balance. Nigeria has successfully been able to integrate into this system.
5. National Character/Ideology: An average Nigerian is proud, Nigeria is seen as the envy of other African states and her people make sure other states in the world know of this. The way they talk, carry themselves, work, hustle, etc is almost crazy. The national character is great. They actually believe that they are superior to other states and even umconsciously try to dominate anywhere they find themselves.
6. Quality of Leadership: This is a very subjective point, no matter how good a leader is,there will always be skeptics. To be factual the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Muhammadu Buhari is a very strong character that has led the country since his inception of his administration with a strong and firm hand, he has fought against the institution of corruption that has eaten deep into the countrys foundation for years and even against one of the most powerful terrorist organization in the world today Boko-Haram. The quality of leadership is very good and its only a matter of time the world comes to respect the leadership and its policies.
Even the strongest nations in the world The United States of America, Israel, Germany, China, Japan, France e.t.c will be judged by these indicies of power stated ahead. To be factual there are even many more points in each of the indicies that indicates that by all standard Nigeria is a powerful state, but wait!!!!!! I am not trying to be rigid in my view I leave it to you to decide.